DNA - not just a medical term...it also stands for DID NOT ATTEND, and is in relation to those who do not turn up to their appointment with a clinician.
A DNA appointment can be classed as follows:
- For an on the day GP appointment - not informing the practice before 2pm
- For a prebooked appointment (either GP, Nurse or HCA) - not informing the practice at least the day before (or before 10am for a Monday appointment)
- We have recently completed an Audit of all of our pre-booked appointments covering the last 12 months, covering the doctors, Nursing Staff and the Healthcare Assistant
- The result has been extremely worrying, as a staggering 1547 appointments have been missed and classified as DNA (Did Not Attend)
- What this means FOR YOU as a Patient of this practice:
- Have you ever called up in the morning for an afternoon appointment, and not been able to get one? Well now you know one of the biggest reasons why…
What you can do?
- Make sure that you can and do attend appointments that you book
- Make sure that if you cannot attend, then you let us know as soon as possible (this cannot be after the appointment, or within an hour of the appointment)
What will happen to repeat offenders?
- You will be classified in one of three categories
- Alpha category– This is given after 1 DNA appointment within a 12 month period
- Beta category – This is given after 2 DNA appointments within a 12 month period
- Gamma category - This is given after 3 DNA appointments within a 12 month period
When You Reach the Gamma Category
- You will receive a letter informing you that you need to phone the surgery to arrange a conversation with either the doctors or the practice manager
- The purpose of the meeting is to consider the appropriate action to take.
- This could lead to you being removed from our list, and have 28 days to find a new doctor
Failure to arrange or attend this conversation will lead to automatic de-registration from our practice
It is a huge shame that the actions of the few will now have an effect on so many so we thank you in advance for your understanding and co-operation with this process.